Friday, November 2, 2012

The Power of Words


“He grants sleep to those he loves.”   —Psalm 127:2 (NIV)

Many of you have heard sermons or teachings about watching what you say or how you criticize your children because there is power in your words. This past week, I received a whole new understanding how words have power.

I often quote Psalm 127:2 in the New American Standard Version (NASB), “It is vain for you to rise up early, to retire late, to eat the bread of painful labors; for He gives to His beloved even in his sleep.” I claim this verse to rest at night when many things are left undone and deadlines loom. I go to bed trusting in God’s promises to provide for what is needed. God always comes through. Often between the times my eyes open in the morning and my feet hit the floor, huge problems are solved or entire sermons planned and thought out.

Recently, however, I have had trouble getting my mind to slow down when I lie down to sleep. I can be dead tired, but when my head hits the pillow, a flurry of thoughts begin racing through my mind. In the morning I may have something all worked out, but I spent the entire night figuring it out rather than sleeping. I have told God several times in my morning prayers that I claimed Psalm 127:2 (NASB) to mean He works things out while I sleep.

I jokingly said the other day, I think I better start quoting Psalm 127 from the New International Version (NIV), “In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat—for he grants sleep to those he loves.” I quoted verse 2 from the NIV two days ago, and for the last two lights, I slept soundly. Maybe there is more power in our words than we think.

If we think our words are powerful, consider how powerful and sure God’s Word, the Bible is for us. “For no matter how many promises God has made, they are “Yes” in Christ. And so through him the “Amen” is spoken by us to the glory of God” (2 Corinthians 1:20). Yes, all of God’s promises are true and certain in Jesus Christ. Hebrews tells us, “For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart” (4:12). God’s Word is certain, living, and powerful.

Many Christians live in defeat and exhaustion because they do not spend time in God’s Word. In order to know God’s powerful and effective promises, we must read and meditate on God’s word. We can memorize specific passages to recall them when we need faith, comfort, or direction. The more time we spend reading and studying The Bible, the better able we are to claim God’s promises.

What need or challenge are you facing today? Does God’s Word say anything about it? What instruction does it give? What promise can you claim? The old gospel song says, “Every promise, in the book, is mine, every chapter, every verse and every line. All are blessings, of his love, Divine. Every promise, in the book, is mine.” You cannot know the promises of God if you are not reading chapter, verse, and line. I encourage you to claim the promises of God. There is definitely power in God’s words.

No comments:

Post a Comment