Friday, November 9, 2012

A Storm is Coming


“The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house.”    —Matthew 7:25

As we prepared for, watched, and now clean up after the terrible hurricane Sandy, we may feel a false sense of relief that at least the storm has past. But, I am concerned that many greater storms are just around the corner. I am not necessarily referring to weather and nature storms like tornadoes, earthquakes, tsunamis, and blizzards which will surely come. I am thinking of moral, social, political, and spiritual storms that are brewing around us.

I am writing this article a few days before a presidential election day. From every analysis, from every political perspective, we are in the midst of a political tornado. The parties are diametrically opposed to each other. Each party morally opposes the other’s stance. One party disagrees entirely with the other on how to best lead our country. The personal attacks and slanted rhetoric could surely not get any worse.

For myself, I am probably not helping the situation as I am very committed to one moral and political viewpoint. However, I personally believe the economy cycles up and down. Unless we are in the last days before the return of Jesus Christ, I believe the economy will improve in the next four years regardless of what either party does to correct it. I am certain that the political party in power will take all the credit for this turn around.

Morally and spiritually speaking, we are in the midst of a brewing storm as well. Jesus, at the end of the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew chapters 5-7 said, “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock” (Matthew 7:24). Regardless of whom you would like to blame, most people around me are not hearing (reading or listening to) Jesus’ words; therefore, they are certainly not putting them into practice. Jesus goes on to say, “The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house.” Jesus said the storm came. He did not say the storm might come, or the storm will hit the east coast or the southern coast. Jesus simply said the storm came.

I fear for many around me as the storm comes. Most are not living their lives on a solid foundation. Many are not grounded spiritually, morally, emotionally, or financially. Jesus promises to keep safe all who ground their lives on Him. If we hear Jesus’ words and put them into practice, our lives and homes will be kept safe and secure. Jesus also said, if we do not build our lives on Him and His word, we are building on shifting sands. Just like the beachfront homes destroyed by the hurricane Sandy, the shifting sands of the latest fad, most recent opinion poll, and newest belief system will not keep us safe when the storm hits.

A storm is coming, but I am not afraid. As Ira Stanphill wrote in the old Gospel song, “Many things about tomorrow I don’t seem to understand; but I know who holds tomorrow, and I know who holds my hand.” You may already be in the midst of your own storm. I urge you to call out to Jesus. The disciples called out to Christ to save them from drowning on the Sea of Galilee. Jesus spoke, calmed the sea, and rescued them all. Call upon, and follow Jesus today. He will never let you down, and He will keep you safe in the coming storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment