Friday, July 27, 2012

Words of Life


There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death.”  —Proverbs 14:12

As I write, I am spending five days at a church conference in the beautiful city of Charleston, West Virginia. I arrived at the dinner hour on Monday and parked at the Town Center Mall parking garage in time to eat a bite and get to my first meeting. Charleston’s down town area has been rejuvenated into a beautiful two city block, three story mall. As I road the elevator to the third floor food court, I asked someone the quickest way to the Civic Center. They immediately told me to go in the direction opposite from the Chik-fil-A restaurant.

After eating a wonderful grilled chicken salad, I headed for the Civic Center. Wanting to double check my directions, I ask a couple of teens if I was going the correct way toward the Civic Center. They debated among themselves and decided I was going the exact opposite direction. Yes, both were certain I needed to go the other way. I continued down to the first floor in the opposite direction toward the Civic Center. Just wanting to double check my route, I asked a pair of lady shoppers at the elevator which way was most direct to the Civic Center. I said, “I’m taking a poll on the way to the Civic Center. I have one saying this way and two others say that way.” Both ladies were convinced that the Starbucks sign faced away from the Center. I turned around another time and went the opposite direction. They were correct. Never doubt veteran shoppers.

I began to think about how we seek direction for our lives. We often take clues from entertainment media, friends, co-workers, relatives, and just about anyone who has an opinion as to which direction to take in life. Just like the directions I received from the Charleston shoppers, human insights are often incorrect and flawed. The scriptures tell us, “There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death” (Prov. 14:12, 16:25). Jesus, on the other hand, said, “I am the way and the truth and the life” (John 14:6). If we really want to know the best way to go in this world, we should consult the One who created this world and life itself.

The statement may often be overused, but the Bible really is God’s road map and instruction manual for life. Paul encouraged Timothy, “But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness” (2 Timothy 3:14-16). If one has lost their way, the Bible really does have the answers. We often wait, like I did at the mall, until we are lost before asking for direction.

I would suggest reading the Bible every day for direction and help. I could have read up on the down town area of Charleston before my arrival. Actually, I thought about it, but forgot my atlas and had to rely on my GPS to get me to my hotel and the Town Center Mall. If I would have read up on Civic Center and the Town Center Mall, I would have not gotten lost in the first place. Do you have a Bible? Have you read it lately? The Bible is truly God’s words of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment