Friday, July 20, 2012

Shout Joyously


“Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth.”   Psalm 100:1

I go to more than my share of fireworks displays each summer. Watching my wife enjoy each fireworks display like it was her first is simply amazing. But, I wouldn’t call July Fourth’s fireworks display we took our two-year old granddaughter at Point Stadium amazing. We entered via the main gate and walked past the artillery cannons, which should have given us an idea of what was to come. After several barrages, Addi burst into screaming and uncontrollable outbursts of her own. After several back and forth barrages between Nanna and Pappy, we were all in tears when we finally exited the stadium.

The Thunder in the Valley fireworks were truly amazing for me this year but for a different reason. We watched from the Goodwill Store parking lot again this year, and as each rocket exploded in air, a shout went up from behind us. I am used to the typical “oohs” and “aahs,” but this was different. Soon the children in front of us were joining in. Each explosion brought another joyous shout. After several attempts to find the source, I located a lady a few cars behind us thoroughly enjoying the fireworks. At first I was slightly annoyed but didn’t know why. Soon, I realized that my annoyance was not because her shouts bothered me but because I was jealous. You see, I do not easily cast off my inhibitions and publicly display my feelings.

The Psalmist calls us, to “Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth” (100:1). The “all the earth” phrase clearly indicates that I am included. I love to worship. I even occasionally lift up both arms in praise and worship to God, but I seldom shout. As many of you have heard me say, “I’m a crier, not a shouter.” When moved in worship I am more likely to mist up, even let a sob slip out, but not a shout.

When I first accepted Christ as my personal Savior at age 18, I knew without a doubt that God answered my prayers, forgave my sins, and came into my heart and life. I felt like a huge burden of sin and guilt had been lifted from my heart. A peace came over me that has never left. I think peace may be what most folks feel when they experience the assurance that their sins have been forgiven by God. Jesus paid it all. The Cross of Jesus, for me, became a symbol of my peace.

The joy of the Lord did not come immediately. Several years later, when I totally surrendered my life to Jesus asking Him to be the Lord (leader and boss) of my life, the joy of the Lord flooded my soul. Jesus said, “Whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life” (John 4:14). Jesus was speaking of the Holy Spirit. As we receive Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, and ask God to fill us with His Holy Spirit, there comes into our hearts a wellspring of joy. The Holy Spirit became for me not just a symbol but a present reality of the joy of the Lord.

I still don’t shout much, but I can enjoy worshipping with those who do. How is the joy level in your life? If you are a child of God, the joy of the Lord and the sweet and powerful presence of God’s Holy Spirit are available to you. Surrender your will and life to the Lordship of Jesus and ask for the fullness of His Holy Spirit. May the joy of the Lord become a spring of living water in your life, and may you have the courage and freedom to shout for joy to the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment