Wednesday, October 5, 2022

 

The Joy of the Lord

 

Do not be grieved, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.—Nehemiah 8:10b

 

I found comfort and challenge today from a very unlikely source, unlikely for me at least. After my devotions and quiet time with the Lord, I was contemplating some important and difficult decisions. The thought came to me that I should listen to an inspirational Christian song. I don’t usually listen to music, but thought I should do so more often.

 

Since I was praying for God to tell me what He wanted, what His will was, I “googled” “Thy will song.” The song entitled, “Thy Will” came up on YouTube. I did not know the song at first, but as it played I remembered it. The song by Hillary Scott and family repeated the phrase, “Thy will be done” over and over again.

 

I did not immediately recognize the name Hillary Scott. She is one of the trio in the country group, Lady Antebellum. Although not well-known as Christian artists, Hillary and her family released the faith-based album, “Love Remains” in April of 2016 with the single, “Thy Will.”

 

If you are able, I encourage you to google the song and check out the back story that led to its creation. It came about out of a time of deep personal loss for the Scott Family. In addition to repeating the phrase from the Lord’s Prayer, “Thy will be done,” the song also says, “It’s hard to count it all joy.” This is a reference to James 1:2-3, “My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.”

 

I have always emphasized that love, joy, and happiness are as much decisions as they are results. In spite of the circumstances of life, we must choose to love and to be happy. Joy comes from living in a relationship with God in Christ and knowing God has a good plan for our lives. Joy is the result of doing the right thing by trusting God’s will in spite of the consequences.

 

In Nehemiah 8, Israel had just endured 70 years of destruction and captivity by the Babylonians. Under a new regime, the Jews were permitted and even encouraged to return to Jerusalem, but the Temple was in ruins and the city walls and gates were destroyed. During a time of distress and harassment, Nehemiah and the Jews rebuilt the walls and set up the gates in 52 days.

 

At the celebration for the completion of the wall project, Nehemiah and Ezra read the Law teaching the people from morning through midday. As the people heard and understood the Law   interpreted to them in a language they understood, many began to weep. They may have been weeping because of conviction, joy, celebration, or despair over the sad condition of the city.

 

Nehemiah encouraged them in this way, “Go your way, eat the fat, drink the sweet, and send portions to those for whom nothing is prepared; for this day is holy to our Lord. Do not sorrow, for the joy of the Lord is your strength” (8:10). The people were quieted and began to celebrate. Regardless what caused them to weep, the people found the strength to rejoice.

 

I pray that you and I may find the strength and spiritual courage to rejoice in the Lord in spite of any current challenge. God has good plans for you, and His will can be trusted. As I listened to the song by the Hillary Scott family, I was comforted and challenged to rejoice in the Lord. The joy of the Lord truly is our strength. Rejoice in the Lord, today.

 

Randy Bain is the Senior Pastor of Oakland UM Church located at 1504 Bedford Street in Johnstown. You may reach him through the church website www.oaklandonline.org.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment