Wednesday, October 31, 2018

What Does My LIfe Consist of? Finances


What is My Life?

One’s life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses.—Luke 12:15

When I was ten years old or so, I thought I got blamed for everything. I remember when my six siblings and I would get into trouble. Our parents would ask, “Who did this? Each of the three older children would respond, “I didn’t do it.” “Not me.” My parents’ question wasn’t “Did you do this;” rather, “Who did do it?” By the time it got to me, I guess my parents figured I had to have done it. The three younger children were still so innocent; so, I got blamed.

Think how silly it would be if we always answered questions with a negative. What time is it? It’s not noon. It’s not five o’clock. These negatives do not answer the question. When approached by a man with a request for money, Jesus warns him in a similar negative way.

A man came to Jesus and ask Jesus to command a brother to divide the inheritance with him. Jesus refused and then warned him about greed and covetousness. Jesus said, “Take heed and beware of covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses.” Some translations phrase it as, “Watch out! Be on guard against all kinds of greed.”

Jesus said, “One’s life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses.” If our lives do not consist in the abundance of things; then, what do they consist of?

To covet means to desire, crave, or set your heart on something. Greed carries that desire to focus on things that belong to others. Jesus may have used this negative way of teaching because human beings appear to believe exactly the opposite of what Jesus said. We do think our lives consist of how many things we possess. Even after we quit using those things, we rent storage spaces, buy storage tubs, and fill our attics with things.

Our schedules reflect this same insatiable desire to have it all. We want our children in every activity, sport, and event. We try not to miss out on anything that might move us ahead. We stretch ourselves so thin because we fear saying, “No” may mean will have to sit still for a moment and consider what our lives do really consist of. We are so busy, going, getting, and trying to get even more. But Jesus warns us, “Watch out! Be on guard of every form of greed.”

In order to understand what Jesus was saying our lives do consist of, one must read the rest of the 12th chapter of Luke. Jesus tells a story of a farmer who built bigger and bigger storage barns only to die rich in earthly things but poor toward God (12:16-21). Jesus then instructs us not to worry because we are more important than birds and lilies. Jesus makes a very profound statement that I believe tells us what our life does consist of. “It is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom. Sell what you have and give alms…for where your treasure is there your heart will be also” (12:32-34).

As I read it, we consist of what we focus our hearts on. If we give away earthly things to show God’s love to others and focus on God’s Kingdom which has already been given to us, then we consist of God’s love, God’s heart, and God’s riches. Where is your focus today? What does your life consist of?
Randy Bain is the Senior Pastor of Oakland UM Church at 1504 Bedford Street, Johnstown, PA 15902. You may reach him through the church website www.oaklandonline.org.


No comments:

Post a Comment