Wednesday, September 5, 2018


Rooted in Community

They were continually devoting themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.­­—Acts 2:42

A funny thing happened last summer along Route 219 south. My wife and I had noticed some wisteria growing wild along the highway. The bluish-purple flowers vining up the trees broadcast their presence from a distance. Once, we wanted to transplant some from our vacation spot in South Carolina but had no access to the property. The hill along 219 looked like public land, and the wisteria was more like a weed than a valuable plant so we came up with a plan.

We would pull along the side of 219. I would run up the hill to the wisteria while Darlene watched for oncoming cars and the police. I wasn’t doing anything wrong but still felt a little guilty. When I got to the plants, I noticed vines were everywhere. Every stem seemed rooted into the ground at several places and was connected to every other vine. No real root-ball existed.

As I looked down to the road, I was shocked to see a local police car stopped behind my car and the trooper talking to my wife. She said, “My husband is just up there digging some weeds.” Now, I’m not sure, but I don’t think one should use the word husband and weed in the same sentence when speaking to the police. He said we were fine. He was checking out a report of an unconscious person in a car around the exit. Whew!

I was able to get a few rooted plants back home but was never able to get the wisteria to grow. It grew so well when connected via runners, vines, and roots to the rest of the plants, but by itself, it did not thrive. It actually rotted, shriveled up, and died.

Acts 2:42-47 is the classic passage describing the early growth of the 1st Century Church. After the Disciples’ first sermon on the Day of Pentecost when 3,000 persons came to faith in Jesus, the new believers grew into their new found faith by becoming rooted in community. Verse 42 tells us they met together for instruction, fellowship, eating, and prayers. Verse 46, tells us they continued “with one mind in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they were taking their meals together with gladness and sincerity of heart.” They worshipped in large numbers at the Temple. They met in smaller groups in individual homes. They served and practiced sacrificial generosity by providing for the needs of those around them.

In my own life, the times when I grew the most and was most joyful, were when I was rooted deeply in community. When Jesus first became a reality in my life, I was part of a Bible Study group in my college dorm. When I left school and joined a local church, I also joined a cottage Bible study of youth and young adults that met from house to house. On my first appointment as a pastor, a group of young people met in our home (often way past my bedtime) for study, prayer, food, and games. One of the sustaining elements at seminary was the Friday night prayer group and Sunday School class we attended. During all of these times, we were rooted in community. We met, prayed, laughed, studied, cried, ate, and served together.

Many folks today choose a church by the style of worship and the quality or delivery of the preacher but miss the point that they will grow best and be most blessed when they are rooted in a community of believers in small groups where they can pray, serve, and give sacrificially together. Just like the wisteria plant. Christians grow and thrive when rooted in community. Where is your community of faith? How are you sinking your roots deeply?

Randy Bain is the Senior Pastor of Oakland UM Church at 1504 Bedford Street, Johnstown, PA 15902. You may reach him through the church website www.oaklandonline.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment