Thursday, June 2, 2016

Pray for America

As for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the Lord by failing to pray for you.    —1 Samuel 12:23

Several years ago in a different part of the country, I participated in a National Day of Prayer service. The Christian and civil communities gathered at the County Courthouse. I was privileged to sit on the platform atop of the Courthouse steps as one of the prayer leaders. Sadly, for me and a few others, the prayer service degraded into a complaint session against our government leaders and American culture. Each prayer began with a short preaching moment condemning the administration and America.

I, personally, agreed with the complaints, but became increasingly annoyed and disappointed by pastors and leaders who used their prayer time to preach and condemn our government. A retired minister from Central Pennsylvania wrote a letter to the editor of the local paper describing an earlier time in history when the Christian community prayed fervently for their leaders.

Centuries ago, Samuel, from infancy was anointed as a Jewish priest. He was the last of the Old Testament Judges and a prophet for the people and kings David and Saul. When the Jews asked for a king like other nations, they were rejecting God as their King and Samuel as God’s representative.

In a demonstration of the severity of their request for a king, God sent thunder and rain during the wheat harvest. The people were terrified as it almost never rains during this time. They confessed their sin and asked Samuel to prayer for them. Samuel responded that he would never sin against God by failing to pray for them (1 Samuel 12:23).

Many of us in America feel that American values have been compromised. We may even feel that our governmental leaders are not leading or leading in the wrong direction, but God has called us to pray for our nation and our leaders. 2 Chronicles 7:14 says, “If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”  

The command to pray is really an invitation, “If my people…” It does not say, “If my people condemn and criticize our leaders;” although we need prophetic voices to speak out. Also, it does not say, “If certain candidates get elected.” Nor does it say, “If drug addicts and pushers stop drug abuse;” but it says, “If my people, will humble themselves, pray, and repent, then God will hear and heal.”

Somehow, in the face of movement away from Christian values, rising drug and sexual abuse, the continued terrorist threat, and ineffective governmental leadership, God calls His people to humble themselves, repent of our sinful ways, and pray. Far be it from us that we should cease to pray for America, for the American people, and our leaders.

We are facing a tremendous election year. America is more extremely divided than I have ever seen. The needs and challenges are larger than in any time in my memory. We need to pray. Christian people everywhere need to humble themselves and pray. God promises to hear and heal our land. Join me in praying for America.

No comments:

Post a Comment