Thursday, September 24, 2015

A Little Barbecue Sauce

For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.   --Matthew 11:30

When my son was a toddler, he used to call my wife's way of eating a hotdog or hamburger as eating a dead bun. To explain, I have never seen my wife eat ketchup or mustard or mayonnaise on anything. She does not like the taste and that is just how God made her.

She often gets hassled by well-meaning friends, "Have you tried salad dressing?" To which she replies, "Yes I have. I don't like mayonnaise or salad dressing." Actually, she also eats her lettuce salads plain as well. Recently, in the last five years, she has begun to add just a little barbecue sauce to her hotdogs and hamburgers.

Last Sunday, I greeted a young lady at church who often feels pressured to be something she is not. I told her she just needs to be herself. Just seek to please only the Lord; perform for an audience of One. She quickly responded, "Yes, I need to find that rest." Jesus said, "Come to me all you who are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." God does not expect us to be someone else. God does not expect us to try to please everyone else. His yoke is easy and His burden is light. It's hard enough just to be yourself and what He wants you to become; but that's all He asks us to do.

The Apostle Paul tells us to present our bodies as living sacrifices to God which is our reasonable service (Romans 12:1). We are to present our bodies to God not to someone else. We are to present our own body not someone else's body. Philippians 3:14 says "I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Paul was seeking to be all that God called him to be, not what others wanted him to be.

As Jesus lived this human life on earth, He sought to please His Heavenly Father. Sometimes the people loved Him, and sometimes the people hated Him. But, His Heavenly Father was always pleased with Him. God said at Jesus' baptism, "This is My Beloved Son in whom I am well pleased."

What is the major issue causing you distress, today? Do you feel rejected and criticized by other people?  Are you made to feel subhuman because of your unique qualities? Remember who made you and who loves you most. John 3:16, "For God so loved you that He gave His One and Only Son" for you. You are loved and accepted by God because of Jesus Christ.


God created us in His image. We were not a mistake. Seek to become everything God created you to be. We need to be considerate of others and their feelings and needs, but seek to please the Lord only in everything you do . Be yourself and maybe even try a little barbecue sauce, but remember that the Lord's yoke is easy and His burden is light. Jesus has already done the heavy lifting and paid for our redemption on the Cross. Come to Him and find your rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment