Thursday, June 25, 2015

Eyes That Do Not See

Seeing you will see and not perceive.   —Matthew 13:14

I am not normally one of those people who count steps, although I once counted the steps between the new pole lights on the walking track around Roxbury Park. In my defense, I was a contractor when I was in my twenties, and I wanted to see if the lights were put in willy-nilly or in a set plan. This past week, as I loaded the car to leave our annual United Methodist Church gathering at Grove City College, I found myself counting steps. In order to add to my step total on my pedometer, I used the stairs, three flights, instead of the elevator.

On the first trip up, I counted one, two, three … ten steps to the first landing and then eleven, twelve … nineteen steps to the second floor. I was intrigued that the landings were not both ten steps so I counted the steps to the next floor—nineteen steps again. Uncertain whether I miscounted or not, I counted again, one, two … nineteen. Yes, nineteen steps between floors. Did you notice anything? I was headed to the third floor. After counting steps three times, I was now looking at a ladder that went from the fourth floor to the roof. I was so busy counting steps, I forgot that my destination was the third floor.

Most of us have heard the saying, “Can’t see the forest for the trees.” As I climbed the stairs, I saw the steps (counted every one of them) but did not recognize the floors. Spiritually, many of us get so caught up in the day to day activities that we miss the spiritual significance of what is happening. We need spiritual eyes and spiritual understanding to see how God is at work in and through our lives.

As Jesus taught the people in parables, earthly stories with spiritual meanings, Jesus was fulfilling what Isaiah had prophesied. People would hear Jesus teachings but not understand and see spiritual events but not perceive. The reason the disciples heard Jesus’ teachings and understood and saw the miracles and perceived the significance was twofold. One, they were in a relationship with Jesus, and He taught them. Two, they believed and were willing to obey.

Many of the religious elite of Jesus’ day studied the Scriptures and Biblical laws with great diligence but missed God’s intended meaning and its fulfillment in the life of Jesus. Jesus condemned the Scribes and Pharisees not for not knowing the Scriptures, but for not believing in Him. The fact that they knew the Scriptures increased Jesus’ criticism towards them.

We can all see and understand if we believe and are willing to heed Jesus’ teachings. The wise and learned of this world do not automatically have an advantage over the young and uneducated in understanding spiritual truths. Jesus said, “I thank You, Father … that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and have revealed them to babes” (Matthew 11:25).


When we claim that we do not understand, we may actually be saying that we will not understand. If we believe in Jesus Christ and are willing to do what He commands, the Holy Spirit reveals God’s will to us. We see and perceive spiritual truth. Having eyes that don’t see doesn’t have to apply to us. We can see, believe, and respond. Lord, give us eyes to see, spirits to understand, and hands and feet willing to obey.

No comments:

Post a Comment