Monday, December 2, 2013

Forgetting None of God's Blessings

“Bless the Lord, O my soul, And forget none of His benefits.”    —Psalm 103:2

In the summer of 1963, C. S. Lewis resigned his position at Cambridge. He died quietly at home that fall on November 22. Despite his fame and the spiritual impact of his writings on generations of believers and non-believers, only a brief obituary appeared in the newspaper because his passing was overshadowed by the death of President John F. Kennedy that same day.

The most recent big event often so dominates our minds that it is easy to forget other world shaking news or God’s blessings over the past year. This fall, two major events have impacted Oakland Church and me. We are just completing a church-wide study emphasis. It has been awesome. More importantly, God has been awesome. The Holy Spirit has been speaking, and many in the church are hearing from God. Secondly, last week, we celebrated the one year anniversary of our capital campaign. God is doing what we thought humanly impossible. I have been so focused on these celebrations that it is difficult to remember anything else that happened this year.

Anyone who has been around me much lately has probably heard me recite Psalm 103. In Church, at the hospital or in my personal quiet time, I might burst into, “Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me. Bless His Holy Name. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget none of His benefits” (Psalm 103:1-2). As we enter the Thanksgiving season, I can think of no better exhortation. Let us all bless the Lord. Let us forget not one of His blessings to us.

God has poured out so many blessings in my life and the life of our Church; it would be terribly disappointing to forget one of the great things God has done: the young people who dedicated their lives to Jesus, the child who received Christ as Savior during Sunday School, and the prisoners who have been set free. The sick have gotten well. Some who have lost jobs have seen God supply their needs in miraculous ways. Others have been able to keep their jobs or find better employment. God is God; all the time!

In order to forget none of God’s blessings this Thanksgiving season, we must make a purposeful effort to remember. In the life of the church, I look back over the calendar to see what happened earlier in the year. I may take a moment at a meeting or small group to ask someone how God has blessed them this past year. Their responses often remind me of a forgotten victory in my own life. Going around the table at a Thanksgiving dinner and sharing something for which you thank God does not take much time but may encourage someone and glorify God.

What will you do this year to keep from forgetting any of God’s blessings? Focusing on the last big terrible event may cause us to feel defeated and ungrateful. There are many difficulties in life. You may be experiencing them right now. By remembering all of God’s benefits throughout the year, we can face our most recent tragedy with confidence that God will see us through.


If we focus only on the last big success in our life, we may be extremely happy for a while. If we consider that blessing in light of God’s benefits throughout the year, we will overflow with praise and thanksgiving to God. Will you join me, “Bless the Lord, O my soul, And forget none of His benefits.”

No comments:

Post a Comment