Friday, June 1, 2012

New Frontiers


“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations.”                     —Matthew 28:19a

I know I am dating myself, but many of you will remember the opening lines to the weekly sci-fi program, Star Trek. “Space: The final frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship, Enterprise
Its 5 year mission: To explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.”

This past week, I witnessed a fellow earthling on his own trek into a new frontier. As I watched my grandson at the kindergarten through third grade track and field day, I got re-acquainted with a former ballplayer I coached in high school. He was watching his son, a first grader, on the athletic field, too. After getting caught up on recent histories, the discussion turned religious. He mentioned, or I suggested, the need to get one’s life right with God and find a church for him and his son. He commented that he wanted to find a church. He then asked a question that will haunt me for a long time, possibly the rest of my life.

My friend asked me, “What do you do? Are you allowed to just go to a church even if you are not a part of it?” I tried to hide my shock, delight, and disbelief and answered calmly, “Oh yea, you can find a church, check out the service times, drive right up, park in the parking lot, and go right in the door. There will probably be people inside the door waiting to greet you and show you around.” I assured him that they would be very happy that he came.

How many times have I urged our people to invite a friend or acquaintance to church? Why, we even have a column to check on our attendance pads, “I invited a FRAN to church.” FRAN is an acronym standing for Friend, Relative, Associate, and Neighbor. I now realize most unchurched people in America no longer have a Christian mindset and church skills. Visiting a church for many would be like exploring a strange new world.

In the great commission passage in Matthew 28, Jesus says, “Go and make disciples.” The burden of evangelism is on Christians to go rather than unbelievers to come. Maybe that is why Jesus spent so much of His ministry time with sinners and non-religious people. Jesus invested Himself in the lives of others to show them the way back to their Heavenly Father. We need to follow Jesus’ example. Visiting a church for the first time can be scary, perhaps even hostile territory, so if you wish to invite someone to church, why not start by inviting your friend over for a cookout or game night. Share the love of Jesus by sharing your life.

Many Christians today are rediscovering the power of home groups, small groups of Christians that meet in homes for prayer, study, and support. A next step in coming along side your friend might be to invite him to your small group.

Another approach would be to invite someone to church by offering to meet them at their house or in the church parking lot to show them the way. You would be surprised how scary visiting a church for the first time can be. One person I invited to church called me a day later to make an appointment to meet me at the church to learn where to park, which door to enter, and what to expect from this strange new world of Church. The new frontier for the average American may be attending church. For many American Christians the new frontier is going to a friend or neighbor and offering to be their guide in going where they have never gone before.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it is hard for today's people to enter a church for the first time. They know they need God and are not sure how to do that. How about having a church in a familiar place. A place where they are more comfortable to go to. Some people are having church at a Hoggie Hut. Hows that for meeting people where they are at. :)

    ReplyDelete