Friday, May 18, 2012

Fresh Air Refreshing




“But David strengthened himself in the Lord his God.”        1 Samuel 30:6b

For one five-year period of my life, I did my morning praying and devotional reading on the front porch of a hunting cabin five minutes from my home. Our house was situated on a postage stamp-sized yard, and my son bought a beautiful, but very big, black German shepherd. I would take Hoss (Prince Hoss Bain was his pedigree name.) with me each morning to buy a coffee at a local shop and drive to the mountain cabin. Hoss had enough running space to get exercise without people conflicts, and I had enough quiet nature space to pray, study, and worship.

One day, on the cabin porch, I received a fresh understanding into Psalm 121. As I prayed and reflected upon nature’s beauty, I imagined David, the shepherd boy, surveying the majesty of God’s creation and writing, “I will lift my eyes to the hill—from whence comes my help? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth” (vss. 1-2). David was not worshiping nature but God, the Creator of all he saw. I am sure that David returned again and again to the beauty of the out-of-doors for renewing times of worship and devotion.

I took a moment this past week to stroll through the woods behind my house here in Johnstown. I was actually sneaking a peak at the new water tank construction and getting some exercise in the process when God surprised me with a flashback memory.  As I walked through acres of mayflowers, I came across and nearly stepped on one of my favorite wildflowers, a jack-in-the-pulpit. My wife and I used to walk on a rails-to-trails path and knew exactly where one very large jack-in-the-pulpit bloomed at the top of a small waterfall each spring. I was totally surprised and pleased when, after nearly seven years in Johnstown, I found dozens of these unique flowers growing behind my house.

Somehow the gentle walk in the woods and the serendipitous surprise of God’s creation refreshed my soul in ways I cannot explain. It may have been the re-connection with a cherished memory or the beauty of God’s creation. Was it the brief rest and the gentle whisper from God’s Spirit telling me to slow down and spend some prayer time in the woods and smell the flowers? Whatever it was, the Holy Spirit washed over me with God’s love and grace.

1 Samuel 30 describes a very low moment in David’s life. He had been running from King Saul, and while off on a mission, the village where he and his men’s families lived was overtaken, looted and burned. David and his men returned to find their families taken captive. And, as if this wasn’t bad enough, his own men threatened to stone him. The Bible records the brief statement, “But David strengthened himself in the Lord His God” (30:6b). We are not told how David strengthened himself, but somehow he found renewed strength to lead his men and rescue their families. I would not be surprised if David did not spend a few moments meditating on God’s creation to refocus.

If you need refreshed, (Most of you do; I’ve seen it in your eyes.) try spending some quality, quiet time worshiping the Lord and listening to His gentle whisper. Fresh air and nature’s beauty sure help me. Why don’t you give it a try? As you look at the beauty of God’s creation, you may be reminded of God’s love and grace. Consider the immensity of the earth and the universe and receive new understanding into our Savior’s power and wisdom. For you macho men, if this seems a little too fluffy, fishing season is upon us, and spring gobbler season remains open for a few more weeks. What are you waiting for? Get some fresh air and get refreshed in the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment