Friday, April 27, 2012

United Prayer


“Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven.”    —Matthew 18:19

I took a couple days off to regroup after Easter. My wife and I traveled back home to visit old friends and reminisce over some earlier stomping grounds. Shortly after we were engaged just over 38 years ago, I took Darlene out to eat at the Wolf’s Den, a very classy restaurant near Knox, PA. This past week, we thought we might eat there on our trip down memory lane. What a disappointment. The restaurant, now located in the middle of a campground, doesn’t look like it is open for business. The cedar shingles on the roof are disheveled and the building is in need of some major tender loving attention.

It is often said, “You can never really go home again.” Well, I sure experienced that truth last week. As I toured the neighborhood of my first pastoral appointment, I noticed many houses in disrepair, yards strewn with junk cars, and many, too many, empty trailers and houses. We wondered if it was this bad when we were there in the 80s or if we just didn’t notice.

Spiritually speaking, I fear the same thing has happened in America. We see mega-churches on television and the number of larger UM Churches has grown over the past decades, but our denomination is still losing members. I believe, Christian values continue to decline in American culture. Just like the homes and businesses of my home town, many lives are in poor spiritual condition.

In these next two weeks, Americans, and especially Pennsylvanians have two great opportunities to change our world. The first is on Tuesday, April 24, when we have the right and privilege to vote in the primary elections. The second one and I believe more importantly, we have the awesome privilege of joining Christians across the country and praying on Thursday, May 3, the National Day of Prayer.

On a national level, in the often quoted scripture, 2 Chronicles 7:14, God promises, “If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” I agree with Ronnie Floyd that “The answer to our spiritual crisis will not be found in the ballot box but in our prayer closets” (The Power of Prayer and Fasting).

The greatest need for our city, state, and nation is that believers would join together in unity and power to pray for each other, our nation, and our world. Jesus said the world would know we are truly His disciples by our love for one another. Like any family, we may not agree on every decision or every interpretation of scripture (Yes, we even disagree on political issues), but we agree on one main thing, the only main thing, Jesus Christ is God’s Son who gave His life for us on the Cross, rose again from the dead, and is coming again some day, maybe soon.

On Thursday, May 3, I urge you to join with other Christians to pray. One special event that I will be attending is the Celebrate One National Day of Prayer and Unity Service to be held on the UPJ campus. At the Pasquerilla Performing Arts Center, Thursday, May 3, at 7:00 PM, Christians, clergy and laypersons alike, will gather to seek God’s face and blessing for our nation. The nationally-known Christian band, Echoing Angels, will lead us in worship and provide a Christian concert, as we join together in prayer, united in Jesus’ name. Yes, I hope you voted, but I especially urge you to join with other Christians in prayer for our nation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment