Friday, October 28, 2011

Rest or Exercise


“There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven.”   —Ecclesiastes 3:1

After a busy and exhausting summer, I am trying to find space and quiet to refuel my spiritual, emotional, and physical tank for the fall and Christmas push. Oh yes, I said Christmas. Look around, the last rain and windstorm nearly emptied the trees. The landscape has put on its winter garb. I decided to re-energize myself by taking a short walk down to the church and back prior to a mini-vacation. On the downhill part of the trip, with my legs whining about having to hold back the whole way down, I questioned my plan. Maybe I should have driven down after taking a short nap. Nap or walk? Which is better?

The miracle feeding of the 5,000 came at a time when Jesus and His disciples were greatly in need of rest but the crowd had an even greater need for care, teaching, and food. After the disciples returned from their first ministry tour, Jesus encouraged them to relax and recharge, “Come away by yourselves to a secluded place and rest a while” (Mark 6:31). Upon arriving at their retreat area, they were overwhelmed by the crowd who had run ahead of them. The rest for the disciples turned into exhausting ministry. “When Jesus went ashore, He saw a large crowd, and He felt compassion for them because they were like sheep without a shepherd” (6:34). The need of the crowd outweighed the need of the disciples.

If you are tired, what should you do—nap or exercise? It depends upon your circumstances. Ecclesiastes says there is a time for everything. If you are exhausted from lack of sleep and over exertion, you may need to nap. If you are tired from stress and being out of shape, you probably need to take a walk, get your heart pumping, and breathe some oxygen into your system. What comes naturally to us is usually the wrong response. If we feel depressed and lonely, the natural reaction is to stay home and mope around. The greater need is for us to get out, experience life, and be a friend to someone else. What I have experienced in my personal life, I have also seen in church life.

The kingdom of God is not simply doing more things. Being busy for busyness sake is not ministry. There are times when churches and Christians need to slow down, step away, and rest. But for churches in decline with limited finances, the natural reaction is to cut back and limit ministries. The greater need is to spend yourself in outreach, ministry, and advertizing.

Ecclesiastes chapter 3 teaches us that life has rhythm. There is a time to work harder and there is a time to rest. In ministry, my rhythm gets confused when I begin skipping days off. A funeral, a special conference meeting, or an emergency falls on my day off, and I throw myself into ministry with no problem. Later, I might lazy away an afternoon thinking I earned it. Then, maybe, I’d waste a morning on another day. Before long, I would forget if I was taking a workday off or working on my day off.

Learn well the rhythm of life. Work hard and then rest. Walk then nap. Pray and do. Reach out and rest up. Where are you today? What is your natural inclination? You probably need to push yourself to rest or exercise depending on your own personality and situation. Jesus is Lord over all of life. He invites the weary to come to Him for rest. But He also sends the waiting into a hurting world in need of God’s Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment