Friday, September 9, 2011

Waiting for What?

No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him.”—John 6:44

When we lived in Kentucky, my wife went to an elderly chiropractor for regular adjustments. One day, the doctor gave me a round disc of wood about the size of a 50-cent piece with the letters “TU IT” printed on it. When it took me a little too long to figure out the meaning, the chiropractor interjected, “You know how folks say they’ll do this or that when they get around to it. Well, now you have one.” I wish getting started on some important project or positive change in our lives was that simple. I would begin giving “round TU ITs” to everyone.

But honestly, think about it. Why does is take so long to make a decision to begin doing something that we want or need. Why do we hesitate beginning a deed that would benefit our life or another’s? The obvious answers might be we are either too lazy or too busy, but I believe there is an underlying spiritual issue. Being born into original sin, we are unable to transform ourselves without divine intervention. We need a divine catalyst or instigator to begin the process into new life. The Bible calls this beginning the “New Birth” or “being born again” (John 3).

An instigator is defined as someone or something that starts a process in motion, or in some minds, stirs up trouble. In order to begin a new life, we must become disgusted enough with the old ways in order to embrace the new. In a Christian understanding, we must become sick enough of sin in order to accept God’s invitation to salvation and new plan for our lives. Jesus said, “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him” (John 6:44). I have heard persons describe this drawing process as a growing dissatisfaction with their worldly life and an attraction to God’s future. People will say things like, “I was just sick and tired of the way I was living. There had to be a better way.” “My life seemed fine until I realized how messed up it was, but it was all I knew.”

The Bible uses a special word to describe turning from a sinful, harmful way of life to living according to God’s plan. “Metanoia,” translated “repentance” means to change your mind. More specifically, metanoia means to be sick enough of sin to turn from sin to God. The scripture says that because Jesus Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection, we can turn to God and be accepted. James 4:8 says, “Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.”

The Holy Spirit serves as God’s great instigator. Jesus promised that when the Holy Spirit comes, “He will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment” (John 16:8). On the surface, it seems to me that convicting the world of sin means to make people realize they are lost, bad, and need God’s help. The conviction of righteousness stirs our desire to walk in God’s way. The Holy Spirit causes us to want this change in the present that we will make a leap of faith and call upon the Lord, Jesus.

So what are we waiting for? God has nearly done it all. God has taken 99 steps on the 100-step journey to reconciling us to Himself, but He waits for and invites us to take the last step. If God has shown you the way to walk, ask God for strength to obey and go for it. Why are you waiting to take that final step to faith? If you need a round “TU IT,” call me. I’ll send you one.

No comments:

Post a Comment