Friday, July 29, 2011

New Grace Every Morning

They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” —Lamentations 3:23

My vacation went better than expected. Oh yes, I am exhausted and trying to catch up on my physical rest, but my soul and spirit have been refreshed. God surprised me the first morning of my vacation with a new experience. Early Saturday morning as I looked out over the deck to enjoy the view of the lake, I saw a squirrel carrying a branch up the trunk toward the top of the oak tree. A gray squirrel was building a nest at eye level just twenty feet away. Now ignoring the breath-taking view of Lake Keowee, I watched in amazement as the squirrel climbed down the tree, chewed off another small branch, and took it back to the nest. I had never before seen a squirrel nest under construction.

At that point, I declared to the entire family that my vacation was complete. I just experienced something completely new. At my age, new things that happen each day are not usually good: a new gray hair, a new wrinkle, a new notch in my belt, or a new ache in a joint. As it turned out, this week was full of new experiences. I saw a family of river otters for the first time. I observed and even photographed a bald eagle living naturally in the wild. While enjoying a very productive week of fishing I was blessed to watch my grandson catch his first bass while casting a lure from the front of the boat. He reeled it in all by himself. I have a picture of Gavin and his dad smiling from ear to ear. It doesn’t get any better than that.

One of the great things about vacations is the change in things we worry about. On vacation this week, I still had worries and decisions. I had to decide what time I was going to get up in the morning. I had to decide between going fishing in the bass boat or taking a ride on the jet skis. Do I swim in the pool or take a dip in the lake? Lie on the dock or by the pool? I don’t really consider myself a worrier, but as the week progressed, I could feel the burdens of life and ministry lighten.

The scriptures repeatedly tell us not to worry. Jesus said in the Sermon on the Mount, “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own” (Matt. 6:34). God does not give us grace for the troubles that will come in the future. God only gives us grace for today. As I experienced new things on vacation, God reminded me that His grace is new every morning. God supplies new grace and compassion for us each and everyday. We begin each new day with more than enough of God’s grace and power to get through whatever challenge we will face, today.

How do we get through the daily struggles of life? Take a vacation. Time off may not change our circumstances, but the rest and new experiences may remind us of the daily, refreshing grace of God. Jeremiah, often called the weeping prophet, lamented the destruction of Jerusalem. As he cried out to God, he declared, “Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail” (Lamentations 3:22). He recognized that even in defeat and destruction, it was God’s compassions that keep us from total annihilation. He goes on to say that God’s compassions “never fail, they are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness” (3:23).

I pray for each of you as you read this article. May God bring a new experience and fresh insight to your soul and spirit. May you learn to trust God anew. God’s grace in Jesus Christ is new every morning. Great is God’s faithfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment