Friday, June 17, 2011

Pride and Humility

“Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.”   —Romans 12:3b

As I write these words, I am attending the annual gathering of our denomination. During the second week of June, every United Methodist clergy from western Pennsylvania and an equal number of laypersons (nearly 2,000 delegates in all) meet at Grove City College for worship, legislation, and fellowship. The conference ends with the Bishop ordaining new ministers and “fixing” the appointments (that is where the Bishop officially tells us where to go).

Each year at Annual Conference, I experience what I call the yo-yo syndrome. As I begin to greet my colleagues leading different-sized ministries from all over western Pennsylvania, I feel intimated in one moment and puffed up the next. As I observe eloquent and charismatic pastors from large innovative churches, I feel very small and insignificant. Down I go. Then I hear about pastors serving declining churches in depressed areas of the state, and I lift my head a little higher and think, “We’re not doing so badly.” Back up again. I know pastors are not in competition with other churches and ministries, but it’s human nature to look around and compare ourselves to others. We all do it with our children, school, and work.

The Scriptures urge us to think of ourselves with “sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given.” To think of ourselves soberly means in a serious and restrained manner. When seeing someone we look up to, we must not minimize our gifts and maximize their strengths. Likewise, we dare not compare ourselves to someone who is struggling. We may be tempted to overlook our own faults and fail to recognize the other person’s strengths.

I seek to think of myself soberly by comparing myself to no one but Jesus Christ and judging my successes and failures according to the gifts God has bestowed upon me. By remembering not to make human comparisons and by understanding my God-given Spiritual gifts, I have been able to break free from the yo-yo syndrome.

This eliminates two problems we often face in the Christian life in particular and everyday life in general. The first is the “I can’t do anything problem.” Because someone around us is experiencing some measure of success, we think we have nothing. We are all uniquely gifted with a certain measure of faith by God. Unique means God has special plans and opportunities that only we can experience.

The second problem is the “I can do everything problem” with its two corollary problems: “You can’t do anything” and “I must do everything.” If we look at our own life soberly according to the grace of God we have received, we will find our place in life and will more readily accept ourselves and others.

Christian, you are a child of God. You are uniquely gifted by God for a life and ministry just suited for you and needed by others. Keep your eyes on Jesus. You will avoid the dreaded yo-yo syndrome and will find a healthy balance between pride and humility.

No comments:

Post a Comment