Thursday, December 23, 2010

Another Long Winter

And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.—1 Corinthians 10:13

Officially, winter began December 21st, but it started snowing on December 4th this year. Although locally the snowfall hasn’t been unbearable, the temperature has stayed near or below freezing for three weeks. Some of us, excluding skiers and snowboarders, are already feeling quite tired of snow and winter. This weather almost makes one feel like we live in Narnia of The Lion, the Witch, and Wardrobe where it is always winter but never Christmas.

Last January seemed to last for half a century. Even some of the stoutest outdoors people I knew became weary of the snow, cold, shoveling, and canceled programs. I am not sure which I dislike more, shoveling or answering questions from inquiring minds whether or not I plan to cancel tonight’s ministry event.

With onset of the deepfreeze of last January came an onslaught of depression. By mid-January of last year, many persons around me became overwhelmed with depression and anxiety. I asked several counselors I knew to make sure it wasn’t simply my imagination. If this winter continues for several months like it has begun, how will we survive emotionally?

The scriptures tell us that God will not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can bear (1 Cor. 10:13). The New Testament word translated tempted can also mean tested. If the snow and cold does continue nonstop until March, God will provide strength to endure it or a way out. God is faithful. When Paul asked the Lord three times to remove his “thorn in the flesh,” God said His grace was sufficient. He said, “My power is made perfect in weakness” (2 Cor. 12:7).

Although I am still young and outdoorsy enough to enjoy snow, changing seasons, and winter in the Laurel Highlands, I am depending upon God and His promises to keep me through possibly another long winter. As I considered the upcoming winter months, I asked the Lord to show me how I might help those around me who are struggling with depression.

The Lord reminded me of a conversation I had a couple years ago with a Korean pastor friend. Korean Christians are famous for their focus on evangelism and prayer. I asked this fellow pastor how he was leading his United Methodist congregation deeper in prayer. He replied that he was challenging everyone in his church to pray the Lord’s Prayer at noon.

I have begun praying the Lord’s Prayer every day at noon for victory over depression, and I invite you to join me. It almost seems too easy, but I can tell you from my meager experience, it is one of the more challenging spiritual disciplines I have ever attempted. At noon, I pray the Lord’s Prayer; then as the Holy Spirit brings to my mind several folks who battle depression, I claim victory for them.

Do you know anyone struggling with depression/anxiety? Are you struggling? Why not join me in an action step of faith. Let us pray the Lord’s Prayer together at noon for a breakthrough.

No comments:

Post a Comment